Ulua Rehab

 I designed and built the prototype Ulua about 20 years ago.  The prototype was strip planked with pine and after a time of testing under sail, I decided to take a female mold from it to produce more copies.  After many weeks of fairing and polishing the female mold was taken from it.  The original hull was stored out in the weather for the past 20 years.  Covered with mold and with some damage, I expected that I might have to cut it up but I decided to make it into a paddling canoe.  I cut the freeboard down 4" (100mm) to make it easier to handle in the wind.  I found the rest of the hull to be sound with only a few de-lamination spots on the inside fiberglass.  The photos below show the progression of the project.  I made a smaller paddling ama from foam and the crossbeams were the originals.













Comments

  1. Amazing to see after 20 years. I remember also seeing a 1 man Ulua paddling canoe that you built. I'm sure there would be some who would like to see that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I’d love to see some detail on that aswell

      Delete
  2. I remember the paddling ulua. Tim Anderson was in the photo. The canoe was yellow from memory. I always thought it would make a great beach camping/fishing boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make a yellow single seat from the mold taken from this prototype. I've got two seats in this one, more of a work/fishing canoe.

      Delete
  3. Marquesan quick connects!
    D. Lowry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment