Ulua by William Manuel



When I built my first strip canoe some 30 years ago, I was astounded at the beautiful creature that resulted from a bundle of sticks and some staples.  It was an empowering experience for me as it has been for William Manuel in Maui, Hawaii.   Now just add some crystal clear water and some tradewinds, to complete the experience.
Many prospective builders feel that a stripper would require more skill than what they have, however I have found that plywood hulls are more prone to serious errors than a strip planked hull. 

Comments

  1. Total newbie here. Just a dreamer at this point, so please forgive my ignorance. Isn't strip a whole lot more work than plywood?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once the mold is assembled and the planks are ripped, it is possible to plank the hull in 2-3 days. Hull construction for any boat is a small percentage of the total labor. Most of the work is in the finishing details and small parts to construct that are the same with any construction method.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment