Tamanu sailing in Fiji


Here's a short video of my Tamanu canoe sailing in Fiji during last May. I made some progress with the reefing system on the sprit rig. Instead of the traditional thumb cleat on the mast to hold the snotter, I now hang the base of the sprit on a loop of parrel beads that are held by a light spectra line to the head of the sail. To reef, I just lower the halyard and the sprit comes down with it. Retie the tack and clew and you're away.
You won't see it on the video where I'm using a small red triangular sail.

Comments

  1. How about some pictures of the fish Rose has caught.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't take a picture of the fish, otherwise it stops growing.. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamanu sailing , is the most beautiful creation I have ever seen.
    I am playing Memory by GrverWashington,from Wine light . it melts perfectly.Please make a few more videos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is magic. I' can't stop dream your canoes. One cuestion (I' not a sailor): in the video you are sailing up wind?.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, most of the video is sailing into the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!!
    I' have your book, and i'm very happy.
    I´m from Santa Fe, Argentina, and buy all materials for 7.2m Wa'apa, full epoxi, used windsurf mast 5.2m 30% carbon, polytarp for sew the sail, wood and others for u$s 950. I' think u$s1200 for a complete canoe. Here in my country, old Laser cost u$s1700, and a very very old crapy Snipe u$s2500.
    Sorry for my inglish and TANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment